A Brief Guide for Teachers and Administrators-Mathematics Assessment Project
Grade Level Ranges:
Grades 6 - 8, Grades 9 -12
Teacher Quality Standards
- QS I: Teachers demonstrate mastery of and pedagogical expertise in the content they teach.
- Element C: Teachers demonstrate knowledge of the content, central concepts, inquiry, appropriate evidence-based instructional practices, and specialized characteristics of the disciplines being taught.
- QS II: Teachers establish a safe, inclusive and respectful learning environment for a diverse population of students.
- Element A: Teachers foster a predictable learning environment characterized by acceptable student behavior and efficient use of time in which each student has a positive, nurturing relationship with caring adults and peers.
- Element C: Teachers engage students as individuals, including those with diverse needs and interests, across a range of ability levels by adapting their teaching for the benefit of all students.
- QS III: Teachers plan and deliver effective instruction and create an environment that facilitates learning for their students.
- Element A: Teachers demonstrate knowledge about the ways in which learning takes place, including the levels of intellectual, physical, social, and emotional development of their students.
- Element B: Teachers use formal and informal methods to assess student learning, provide feedback, and use results to inform planning and instruction.
- Element D: Teachers establish and communicate high expectations and use processes to support the development of critical-thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Element E: Teachers provide students with opportunities to work in teams and develop leadership.